Heath House, a compound of buildings, was the first resort erected on Schooley's Mountain by Joseph Heath. Local lore say George Washington stayed in one of the rooms in the Alpha Hotel, the first hotel.
The Jacob Weise House was built by Philip Weise, both being two of the first settlers in the Valley. Morris Naughright later owned the property and grew sugar cane and had a molasses factory on the property.
This home was built in 1774 and later became the home of Louis Richard Schoenheit. He was one of the many honor guard members at President Lincoln's funeral.
John C. welsh started Welsh Farms in 1891, with the first creamery located on West Mill Road. For years, its sole client was the Hotel Astor in New York City.
Built by Philip Weise, this mill used the waterpower of the South Branch of the Raritan River until it was converted to turbine power in the 1870s.
Lawrence Hager Trimmer started this business in 1896. The mine was able to turn out 400 tons of crushed stone per day which was used for macadam surfaces.
Once called the German Valley Inn, this building was the earliest hotel in Washington Township. It served people traveling on the Washington Pike. Albert Einstein occasionally came on Sundays for a chicken dinner.
This post World War I welcome-home gathering for members of the American Expeditionary Forces was held in the center of town in front of what is now Cottage Treasures.
Since the major means of transportation included horses and wagons, this factory was an important business in German Valley in the 1800s.
Originally called Belmont Hall, this hotel was part of the first major resort areas in America. The hotels hosted such notables as Ulysses S. Grant, the Roosevelts and the Astors who came from the city in the summers to take advantage of the healing and cooling chalybeate waters form the spring.
The Jersey Central Railroad first traveled through German Valley on July 1, 1876 and continued servicing the area for one hundred years. Many townsfolk traveled to Lake Hopatcong on summer weekends.
Built on the site of the Old Presbyterian Congregational House in 1892, this house was a lovely example of Queen-Anne style architecture . Andrew Dufford built the home for his bride.
One of the oldest continuously operating general stores in America, this store was established by Joseph Heath c. 1850 for the visitors to the Schooley's Mountain Resorts.
Located on Middle Valley road not far from the South Branch of the Raritan River, this station was one of four train stations in the valley. It served a 1.3 mile spur, the shortest in New Jersey, which serviced the Middle Valley Trap Rock and Mine Company.
The South Branch of the Raritan River supplied the waterpower to this mill until the milldam broke from ice buildup in 1917. Ice was harvested from the pond and stored in mattings of straw and sawdust until summer.
John P. Sharp built this stone home in 1828 on property he inherited from his father, John Sharpenstein. It served as a general store and also the post office for Drakestown until 1911.
Erected c. 1794 as the first general store in Middle Valley, it also housed the first post office in Middle Valley in 1802. John C. Welsh, of Welsh Farms, bought the store from David W. Miller, the son of David Miller who built the store.
One of the many farms in Washington Township, the Zellers Farm was a working farm in the 1960s. The original farmhouse is dated as being built in 1730, probably by the Hann family. The barn probably predates the house since barns were built first to house the livestock.