1-908-876-9696 info@wthsnj.org

Neitzer Tavern

Washington Township Historical Society Museum
The Neitzer Store and Tavern, 2026.

The Neitzer Tavern

The Heart of Early German Valley

5 West Mill Road, Long Valley, New Jersey 07853

The building served as a tavern. Travelers stayed overnight here, and locals gathered to share news and conduct business. The left side of the building is the oldest section of the building. The right side was enlarged to accommodate Revolutionary War soldiers serving under General Washington.

The Neitzer store served as the commercial center of the growing settlement. Farmers and travelers came here to purchase supplies, exchange goods, and obtain services not available on local farms.

Built in 1748 by Peter Neitzer, the store quickly became a thriving enterprise. Neitzer, a German immigrant, died in 1763 and left his possessions to his niece Elizabeth and nephew John William Neitzer. In 1765, they traveled to America to claim their inheritance, finding a well-established and prosperous business. Store records from 1763 show that nearly all of Neitzer’s 228 customers came from towns in Morris, Hunterdon, and Warren counties—many choosing to trade with a fellow German merchant.

Shortly after arriving, William Neitzer met and married Margaret, the daughter of Philip Weise. Together, they managed and expanded the business. A few years later, recognizing the needs of the growing village, William established what is considered the valley’s first tavern.

The tavern soon became an important gathering place. During the Revolutionary War, it was enlarged to accommodate troops under General George Washington. In the early 1800s, it hosted annual town meetings each April. Like many colonial taverns, it served as a vital center for community life, where residents conducted business and shared news from beyond the valley.

The original store was located in what is now the parking area of a future restaurant. Over time, additional businesses developed nearby, including stores operated by George Swachhammer as well as Jesse Weise and his son Edward. Later, Allen and VanNest Steam Heating Company ran a successful tinware and stove business in the area.

Adjacent to the stone tavern, and likely behind it, stood a blacksmith shop operated by Lawrence Hager, later taken over by his son J. Miller Hager and subsequent generations. The shop remained in operation until it was eventually demolished due to inadequate facilities.

Ownership of the tavern and store passed through several families over the years, including the Hager family. Together, these buildings formed the commercial heart of early German Valley.

Washington Township Historical Society Museum
The Neitzer Store and Tavern, Historic Image.

The Old Fort (Philip Weise, Jr. House)

Early Village Building

DONATE TO THE WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP HISTORICAL SOCIETY

 

Support us as we preserve and promote our heritage.