The Old Union Church (Old Stone Church)
The Old Union Church
Old Stone Church
Fairview Avenue, Long Valley, New Jersey 07853
Originally known as the Union Church, the old stone structure is the third church constructed by the early European settlers in Long Valley. These settlers came from what we now call Germany – in the area of the Rheinish Palatinate. Both Dutch Reformed and German Lutherans were among the early settlers. Union Churches were used by two denominations. In 1743-1745, the new settlers built a crude log chapel south of current Long Valley at the foot of Fox Hill. Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, noted as the father of Lutheranism in America, preached at the log chapel in August 1745.
Eventually, there was a split among the Dutch Reform settlers. Some remained south of town (this is now the Fairmount Church). The other branch of the Dutch Reformed and the German Lutherans built a new log chapel in 1747 in Long Valley (then called German Valley). In 1774, this stone church was built, probably on land adjacent to the old log church. During the colonial days, the Union Church was served by preachers from New Germantown (now called Oldwick) or by lay preachers. Henry Melchior Muhlenberg preached at the log church here in Long Valley, as did his sons, John Peter Muhlenberg and Gotthilf Heinrich Ernst Muhlenberg. In 1771, John Peter left the Zion pastorate (Oldwick and Long Valley) to serve a congregation in Virginia. It is from his pulpit in Virginia in 1776 that John Peter preached a sermon based on the text from Ecclesiastes- “A season to every purpose under heaven”. He declared there was a time to preach and a time to fight. The next day he took up a commission in the Revolutionary forces.
Gotthilf Heinrich Ernst Muhlenberg was the Zion pastor when this stone church was built. On the day the building of the stone church was to commence, the people of the valley planned to celebrate with a wagon race. Contestants would load their wagons with stones for the church building and drive them to this site. The first person to bring his load of stones would get his horses decorated with specially prepared flags and ribbons. Legend has it that David Welsch, only 17 years old, secretly loaded his wagon and hid it near the church. The next day, wagons headed toward the church building site. Even though David was quite sure he would win after his head start, he was almost edged out of his victory. He did squeak out his win, though, and later he became a respected judge in town.
The stone church had a heavy gallery on the south side and across each end. The door to the church was under the south gallery and the pulpit was opposite the door. The pulpit was raised with a small roof above it to serve as a sounding board for the preacher. There was no chimney in the church, but when it was cold, a space about 8 feet square was made with a dirt floor where a charcoal fire could be lit for warmth. Some say this charcoal gas may have lead to some instances of “religious” ecstasy and fainting.
Since this building was shared by two congregations, the practice was whichever preacher arrived first, their congregation would have first use of the building. The other congregation would wait and visit outside – perhaps in good weather they picnicked here in the church yard. When it was their turn they entered the building and the first congregation had their fellowship time.
In 1832, the Lutherans and the Presbyterians decided to each build their own churches. The stone union church was left to gradually decay. It still belongs to both the Lutheran and Presbyterian congregations in town and cannot be sold – it must be kept for posterity jointly according to the articles drawn up when the church was built.
The Old Stone Church remains one of the most important historic landmarks in Washington Township.
This concludes the Historic Walking Tour.

Philip Weise House and Tannery Site
DONATE TO THE WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP HISTORICAL SOCIETY


